Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Update on dates of events

My sister needs updated information so that she can print this out and distribute to her friends, some of whom she finds have followed my blog for some time!
I have never felt as if I am talking to people in Victoria, and it is a bit of surprise to find that a few locals at least are reading my pages.
Thank you.

So here we are:

The Heritage House Author's Celebration on Thursday November 17 is being held at the Maritime Museum of British Columbia, at 28 Bastion Square, in downtown Victoria. The evening begins at 5:30 pm. and goes on to 9:00, and I am the last speaker -- there will be twelve authors in all presenting their short five minute talk. But it will be fun (I've attended their author's celebration before), and there are breaks for "nibble, sip and mingle." In addition, the venue is stunning. My long distance cousin, who was a lawyer, tells me this is the old courthouse where the man who operated the elevator (the oldest elevator in Victoria, I understand) used to greet everyone by their first name.
But, for this event, you must RSVP to info@touchwoodeditions.com or phone 250-360-0829, to get in the door. This is not a drop-in event; and its quite a dressy event, too. Leave your ragged blue jeans at home and dress up a bit. They will be selling everyone's book at this event, so you can do lots of Christmas shopping here! We also hope to have A.C. Anderson's 1867 map of British Columbia displayed at this event -- not the original of course, but a copy.

I will be speaking in front of the Victoria Historical Society on November 24th at 7pm. The meeting is held at the James Bay New Horizons Centre. There will be a short meeting and a tea break before the talk begins, and I will be speaking for about 3/4 hour afterward. As the historical society pays rent on the room, it might be nice if a few of you volunteer to pay a $5.00 fee to go toward the group's expenses (non-members are allowed one free meeting before they pay, but..). I will also have books to sell there, and will sign any books that you have already purchased and bring in to the meeting -- if you want to go to that extreme.

The Pathfinder Book Launch will be held at Crown Bookstore on Thursday December 1, 6:30 pm. to 8 pm. The bookstore's address is 514 Government Street, and the Heritage House it is in stands immediately behind the Parliament Buildings and just around the corner from Crown Publishers. You can do some of your Christmas shopping there, too. I think this is quite a casual event and you can talk to me rather than sit and listen to me talk all the time.

Pick up the January edition of Senior Living; I have done an interview for that magazine.

In January I will be speaking at the Blue Moose Cafe in Hope, on January 19th at 7pm. Books will be available at the event, but I want residents to remember that if they want a book immediately they can purchase it at the Hope Visitor Centre and Museum Complex (Destination Hope) at 919 Water Avenue.
The above event is being put on by the Hope Mountain Group, at www.hopemountain.org. These people, who come from Burnaby, Hope, Princeton, Tulameen and elsewhere, have been restoring the brigade trails over the Coquihalla for years and now have a great deal of information to share. If you're a hiker, Hope is a great place to start a good hike!!

In February I am booked to speak in front of the Historical Maps Society of British Columbia in Vancouver. It is a private group and so I do not think you can attend unless you are a member. I think they will enjoy pouring over A.C.'s maps and hopefully will be able to give me leads on the possible location of maps I have been unable to find -- and there are some of those.

That's it so far. I think I am going to be a little busy for a while.
Copies of The Pathfinder will be shipped out in a week or so, so get excited.
I certainly am eager to see my new book!!!

2 comments:

  1. No one other than VHS and the historical map society has asked (and Hope Mountain). When the book is published and advertised in BC History Magazine, they may book me for next year. Almost certainly I will be in the Okanagan somewhere next year. Most historical societies book their speakers over the summer so they can advertise their speakers in the fall.

    ReplyDelete